Friday, June 12, 2020

SUMMER WARDROBE 2020

At last I have made progress on my summer wardrobe.  I thought I might not get done before the holiday season--and I don't mean 4th of July.

I've completed 2 more pieces, so take a look:


Sometimes I have to play around in my fabric stash.  That quiet time can give me a push forward into my next project.  I had purchased a pretty striped linen years ago that was white with plum and green stripes in it.  I pulled it out and browsed the other shelves.  Sure enough, there was a plum that worked, then a green, then this floral print that had both the plum and green in it----------and I was off and running.  Found a couple more things as well, and you'll see those soon.

Anyway, the whole idea was to create several garments in fabrics that are cool in Florida's heat and humidity, so these cottons and linens worked.  Also, I chose designs that were a bit loose and easy to wear.

This top is made from View A of Simplify Your Life.
 I left off the pocket because it would not have showed on this lively print, and I eliminated the sleeve bands to make it easier to pull on a jacket over the top.  So here's a closeup of my version:


 Pretty neckline and a pleat at center front.

The pants are soft linen, made from the tapered version of the One-Seam Pants.

 My pants are soft with tapered legs.  But I decided to pull my pants in at the ankle with a detail I found while snoop-shopping.  I simply pleated each pant leg at center front and sewed a button on to hold the pleat.  Looks great when worn.


The idea of a wardrobe is to have a group of garments that can be mixed.  To be more specific, I like to aim for 3 tops that can go with each bottom.  And of course, the tops for one bottom should go with the other bottoms.  It's multiplication. 

So my start is the Simplify Your Life above, the plum One-Seam Pants, and the modified shirt from The Blouse Perfected that you saw in an earlier post.  



So far, I have 2 tops and 1 pant = 2 outfits.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.  If I get with the program, I'll finish before there's snow on the ground.